Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Why is it so hard for me to PLAY

I'm a big list maker and a very task oriented mother. My poor children! I just don't make time to sit down at their level and just PLAY. Recently I have been poring over information of why I am the way that I am and what I can do to change it.

I've learned what a powerful, simple tool play is to a happy home. My kids are happier when I play with them. They behave better, they listen better, even I'm happier after one of our laughing fits. And because they want to repeat these games so many times, it's a quick, easy way for us to get the most out of our interactions.

Despite knowing all this, when I get caught up in the day and the business of life it's easy to put play on the backburner. I keep having to relearn how important playing with my toddler and children is.

According to the American Bureau of Labor's recent findings of how much moms play with their kids under 6 I'm not alone. Full Time working moms play 11 min. a day, Part Time working moms play 21 minutes, and moms who stay home with an extra 36 hours a week over their FT colleagues play only 50 min. a day. In comparison, each day Americans watch 2.62 hours of the boob Tube.

Well, I hope we can all spread some love and brighten our kids' day with a little more play.

1 comments:

brooke said...

unfortunately i have to agree. i don't sit down and play with my kiddos near enough each day. i actually dwell on it later at night after they're in bed feeling like a horrible parent, but there are always so many things to get done. it's so difficult to find a balance. great post!