Tuesday, February 08, 2011

My first 911 phone call

This evening was pretty eventful for our little family. This morning Easton had woken up with a fever and has had congestion for a few days but I just took no serious thought to it. He would be off and running around and then the next minute just want to hold me and snuggle with me. It was on and off all day long.

After dinner I noticed that Easton went and put himself on to the couch to lie down and that he didn't finish his dinner so I just assumed he was ready for bed. During that same time we had planned on having a few people come over to start a scripture study group and the missionaries were invited to come over as well. It ended up only being the missionaries who came so at the end of their time with us Trent asked them to help give Easton a blessing.

About 10 minutes after they had left Easton was lying on Trent's stomach and all of the sudden picked up his head and started to look at Trent really funny and just became limp. Trent was talking to him and trying to figure out why he was acting that way and then I noticed that his face became white and his lips were turning purple.

My immediate thought was call 911 because I didn't know CPR. But just a few days ago we had an Emergency Preparedness class at church and talked about the emergencies that we may have in our homes in regards to certain household things and was brought up about CPR and I remember specifically on that one turning to my friend April and saying, "I need to learn how to do that properly."

Trent got up with him and walked back and forth from the door and he was just a noodle and not aware of what was going on. His eyes were dilated and it was just a very scary 3 minutes until the Paramedics arrived.

911 kept me on the phone asking me questions for about 2 minutes and once I hung up I took a look at the girls and they were just wondering what was happening. I reassured them that help was coming for Easton and that we needed to pray for peace and comfort because we were all scared.

They arrived and Easton started to notice who we were and was looking around the room and you could tell that he had some sort of seizure but he didn't do the convolutions or shake or fall over because I think he was in Trent's arms the whole time. The paramedics concluded that it was indeed a febrile seizure and that they needed to take him over to the hospital to run a few tests.

So Trent and Easton were off in the ambulance for a nice ride. ($$$$) That's going to be a fun mail piece. But at this point I myself started to have some peace and reassurance that Easton was going to be just fine.

Poor Reeghan started to cry when she saw him take him away to the hospital and was trying my best to console her and then I broke down so I am sure that didn't help. I just felt alot of guilt on my part as a mother for not doing the simple things to take care of my son that day that is why I was crying. I looked over at Paetan and she was all confused and couldn't decided if she should be crying or consoling both of us. It was a tender moment for all 3 of us.

It was a great teaching moment as well for me to tell the girls whenever an emergency happens and when we feel scared that we need to turn to the Lord for help and immediately get down on our knees and pray. Then the girls started asking questions and running through scenarios when they should themselves call 911 and why that number is so important and when and when not to use it.

A sister from my ward came over until Tyler and Lauren got to my house to be with the girls while I headed off to the hospital to be with them. I made sure I packed something for us to do because our ER trip last time with Easton here we were there for 5 hours! So I came prepared and sure enough I am thankful that I did.




I arrived at the ER and Easton recognized who I was and was so happy to see me for a few seconds and then it was back to Dad. He is such a daddy's boy! We waited to see the doctor and when he came he told us about this type of seizure and then wanted to run like 5 different tests on him to just be sure that's all it was.

We had blood work and the guy couldn't find the right vein to get blood and I about passed out because he was fishing around with the needle, a chest x-ray, urine sample for a 2 yr old (that one didn't happen he didn't get a chance to pee in the bag), nasal drainage where they clean out his nasal passage and check for infection, and then it was concluded after all that that he has RSV!

Poor guy would fall asleep because he got to the hospital at 8:30 and he was just tuckered out with all that had happened to him and then nurses had to keep waking him up to do tests and he decided after the 2nd time to just stay awake so we watched Thomas the Train and Caliou on my phone. These are the times I really appreciate technology for my children when they have to sit through something so traumatic and long.

We were able to check out at midnight and headed home and thought for sure he would sleep for hours and hours but no he kept waking up and crying and just hurt and couldn't fall asleep till about 2am. It was a long night I guess its just prepping me for what is about to come with this baby.

What I learned from this experience is that Easton adores his dad and I have such an amazing sweet husband that takes care of us as a family and can bless his family with his priesthood.

I learned that I need to learn CPR and be prepared to help my children in emergencies and to stay calm not only for me but for the other children who are not involved.

I learned that the power of prayer once again does work and especially when your whole family is praying for your little family. Work got out fast with text messaging another great reason technology is a great tool.

4 comments:

Shauna said...

So scary! Glad everything's okay. Hope you are able to get a nap today!

brooke said...

How scary Sarah...I'm so glad that Easton is okay. I have no doubt you were all being watched over.

Clark Family said...

I'm so glad to hear that Easton is okay. We sure have alot of those seizures in our family don't we? Hope I get to see you guys soon! Love you!

Evaly said...

I really hope he is feeling better. That would be really scary. P.S. Happy Birthday! Hope it was a good one :)