Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Reeghan's Weekend

I returned home from a wonderful girls weekend getaway with my college roommates to Reeghan telling me all about her wonderful and exciting weekend!

First she was invited to a Daddy Daughter date with our church. You see its for 8-11 year old girls but she got to go because her birthday is very soon. Trent even videoed her dancing on stage with the girls to the Justin Bieber song, "Baby, Baby, Baby, Oh! It was hilarious.


Then she was able to attend a Baptism Review which was a special night for those in our church who are turning 8 years old this year. They will be baptized this year and its a big deal.

I happen to teach them in Primary so I missed out on a great night I'm sure.

They each were given a binder with pages of memories that they will write down as their day approaches and the experience they will have. They were also given a white bag with a white towel, white soap and white socks.

To top it off they received a copy of "My Gospel Standards" which lists the goals and standards they are to strive for and accomplish.

Then about an hour later she was disappointed with me trying to tell her what to do to get ready for the next day and she had this box sitting outside her door to her room. Note "My Gospel Standards" under her paper!


Her paper says:

Dear Sarah,
I hope you have fun with another 8 year old. She can have my clothing and this stuff. From somebody named (arrow pointing to her crossed out name then a ?)


The box had her Valentines day letters and cards from her classmates at school along with her white bag she got from her Baptism Review.

She has had a few episodes of this type of behavior when she just wants to leave us and pack up and get "sold" by the curb. But she ends up realizing what she has and then humbles herself with a little talking to about what she has and what other kids don't have in this world.

Times like these make me hurt inside that she truly isn't happy and what I have done to make her go to these extremes in my mind to try to run away or sell herself.

I watched this video today and was reminded that this little girl will one day be like these girls and I want so much for her to realize her potential and to just strive to be the best example for her.

I have really been putting forth effort into learning about Reeghan and how she thinks and what she needs from me. She loves spending quality time with me and being artistic and creative. She loves to figure things on her own and I know that I can help her become her best self when I sacrifice my wants.

0 comments: